Updated 15 February 2019
To apply for a Tuckwell Scholarship for study commencing in 2020, the following eligibility criteria apply:
- Be in Year 12 in 2019;
Students who are taking Year 12 over 2 years are eligible. Students in their gap year are not eligible to apply. This includes students who have deferred an offer to study at the ANU in 2019.
- Be aged between 16-20 years as of 1 March 2020;
- Be studying at a school in Australia;
- Have not previously applied for the Tuckwell Scholarship;
- Have studied one or more English subjects (at a standard level) for at least one semester in Year 11* and achieved a grade of B- or higher or equivalent (6 or higher for IB students) in at least one of those subjects;
- Have studied one or more Mathematics subjects (at a standard level) for at least one semester in Year 11* and achieved a grade of B- or higher or equivalent (6 or higher for IB students) in at least one of those subjects;
* Applicants are permitted to satisfy one of these conditions by completing the subject in Year 12, provided they did not take that subject in Year 11.
Download our Guide to Mathematics and English Eligibility Requirements 2019 (PDF) to verify the minimum grade required for courses in your State/Territory.
- Be predicted by your school to achieve an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) of 95 or higher;
Please note that:
(i) Students attending a school classified as S01E or S01C under the Educational Access Scheme (EAS) may be eligible for the 95 ATAR requirement to be lowered, possibly to as low as 90, depending on your school’s specific circumstances. If your school meets the criteria for S01E or S01C and your application progresses to Stage 3 (Interview Weekend), we will let you know of any adjustment to your ATAR requirement, which will take into account your Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA); and
(ii) Students who fall within other EAS codes which are eligible for consideration by ANU, will be individually reviewed and if your application progresses to Stage 3 (Interview Weekend), we will let you know of any adjustment to your ATAR requirement.
The lowest ATAR requirement possible in all cases is 90.
- Be an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian humanitarian visa and be connected and committed to Australia;
This Scholarship is not available to New Zealand citizens, unless they are also citizens of Australia.
- Demonstrate the attributes of a Tuckwell Scholar;
- Be available to attend in-person the interview weekend in Canberra on 5-7 July 2019; and
- Have submitted an application to study at the ANU in 2020 via the ANU Direct Application Portal.
Other terms & conditions
- Successful Scholarship applicants will be made a conditional offer of scholarship, subject to achieving the required ATAR and satisfactorily meeting any program admission requirements;
- Successful Scholarship applicants may not defer their Scholarship nor seek to take up any other Scholarships upon satisfying their conditions of award;
- Scholars are required to meet ANU expectations for academic progress relevant to the program in which they are enrolled;
- Scholars are required to live in an ANU residence (Hall, College or Lodge) for at least the first year of their scholarship, and are strongly encouraged to live in an ANU residence for the first few years of their degree.