The Tuckwell Scholarship Program is like no other undergraduate scholarship program in Australia.
We award up to 25 Scholarships each year and offer talented and motivated students the opportunity to realise their potential by providing financial support, personal enrichment and development opportunities. Most importantly, Scholars can connect with and learn from one another within our home on campus, Scholars House.
The scholarship is awarded for three to five years of undergraduate study at ANU, and is valued between $76,000 - $136,000.
The financial support offered to you as a Tuckwell Scholar is intended to help you through your university journey, giving you the freedom to focus on what is important.
As a Tuckwell Scholar you will receive:
- $26,000 per annum (2024 rate) (increasing annually) for the length of your undergraduate degree program (studying full-time), to cover on-campus residential costs, books and general living expenses.
- from 2024, a one-off payment of $1,500 relocation grant for first year Scholars.
- guaranteed access to ANU-approved student accommodation.
- travel allowances to assist with your move to Canberra and to support two annual return journeys (e.g. airfares) between your home and the University for each year of your degree.
- an allowance to help cover the transport costs for your parents to attend Commencement Weekend at the start of the program, and
- an ANU Sports Centre membership.
Scholars have the opportunity to fulfil their potential and develop leadership skills that will help them to make a positive contribution to ANU, their local community and to Australia.
Scholars will be able to:
- Attend seminars and workshops to develop essential skills, knowledge and behaviours.
- Learn from and be mentored by senior Scholars.
- Attend an orientation and camp.
- Attend Academic Dinners and connect with ANU academics.
- Attend networking events and connect with Scholars in specific subject areas.
- Contribute to the annual Interview Weekend and other program events.
Scholars are supported by a team of experienced staff who help them to find opportunities, build networks and achieve their personal and professional goals through mentoring, events and workshops.
Scholars have the opportunity to:
- Participate in orientation events that will help with the transition to university and Scholar life.
- Receive 1:1 mentoring from an experienced Tuckwell Fellow.
- Receive support and advice from the Head of Scholars House, the Program Director, and Program Staff.
- Learn from senior Scholars who can help you to transition successfully to life at ANU.
- Connect with members of our global alumni network and attend alumni events.
- Enjoy the comfortable and collegial atmosphere at Scholars House.
Scholars are funded and encouraged to pursue activities that promote and sustain health and wellness.
- Receive a free ANU Fitness Centre membership (worth $530 per annum) for the duration of the Scholarship OR funding up to $450 per annum for health and wellbeing activities external to the ANU Fitness Centre.
- Enjoy health and wellness activities held at Scholars House.
All Scholars are given exclusive access to Scholars House, a common room located centrally on campus. Scholars House has study areas, a kitchen, a multi-function printer, lounge area, bathrooms, lockers, and an outdoor covered seating area. Referred to as Scholars' by current scholars, the building plays host to a range of Tuckwell gatherings and events. Scholars House is also the umbrella term used to describe the community to which all Scholars belong; the academic, pastoral and social heart of the Tuckwell Scholarship Program.
Each new Scholar is welcomed into the Scholars House community during the annual Commencement Weekend.