The Graham and Louise Tuckwell Foundation and the ANU have announced the winners of the 2015 Tuckwell Scholarships.
The 24 students will receive $20,900 each year towards their studies as well as ongoing academic and career mentoring.
They will live in student accommodation at the ANU and be encouraged to pursue community service and extracurricular activities.
Canberra’s Lucy Kirk, a 2014 Tuckwell Scholarship recipient who studies Medical Science, said the program has expanded her view of the world.
“It has impacted my life by giving me connections and making friends that I wouldn’t have ever thought I would have made,” she said.
“It has given me a broader prospective on things by opening my world view to different people and different ideas.”
The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ian Young AO, congratulated all the Tuckwell Scholarship winners and said they were not only some of Australia’s brightest scholars, but also students who demonstrated a commitment to giving back to the community.
“We were delighted with the standard of applicants this year,” Professor Young said.
“I’m excited to be welcoming all of the Tuckwell scholarship recipients on to campus and looking forward to the contribution they will make to the ANU.”
Mr Tuckwell said the highlight for him is watching the program take shape, one year on from the first scholarships.
“We are in the early stages of building the business so the exciting thing is where we are getting to, not what we’ve done so far,” Mr Tuckwell said.
The Tuckwell Scholarship Program was established by ANU alumnus Graham Tuckwell and his wife Louise in February 2013 and the first scholarship recipients started their studies in 2014.
Their $50 million gift to the University was the largest donation to an Australian university by an Australian citizen.
A full list of Tuckwell Scholarship winners for 2015 is below.
- Robert Cook, Normanhurst Boys High School
- Rachel Cook, Heathcote High School
- Brodie Hannan, Cowra High School
- Maddison Perkins, Blayney High School
- Betrice Walker, Merewether High School
- Nicholas Wyche, North Sydney Boys High School
- Lachlan Arthur, Trinity College Senior
- Anthony Ricci, St Peter’s College
- Yaya Lu, The Friends’ School
- Michael Turvey, Rosny College
- Audrey Lee, Perth Modern School
- Jonathan Tjandra, All Saints’ College
- Matthew Bowes, Melbourne Grammar School
- Jeevan Haikerwal, Westbourne Grammar School
- Billie Hook, Geelong Grammar School, Geelong
- Visai Muruganandah, Melbourne High School
- Samuel Parsons, Geelong Grammar School
- Nishanth Pathy, Ballarat Grammar School
- Charles Prior, St Kevin’s College
- Jane Tan, Presbyterian Ladies’ College
- Tamara Bohler, St Peters Lutheran College
- Eliza Croft, Townsville Grammar School
- Hannah Gregory, Gladstone High School
- Mary Parker, Pimlico High School